Terms of Reference
The Research Advisory Committee oversees the Research activities of the Department through the following processes:
- Manages and develops the research portfolio of the Department
- Reviews, updates, and implements departmental, faculty, or university policies related to research
- Manages and delivers the annual Departmental Research Day
- Reviews student and faculty feedback on departmental research programs and oversees continuing quality improvement in research outcomes
- Advises the Department’s Faculty Executive Committee and the Department Head on research activities, approach to implementation, and / or evaluation, as needed.
- Manages the mentorship program for researchers
- Ensures equity, diversity and inclusion in all processes
The Committee is comprised of ex officio and elected members:
- Vice-Chair, Research (Committee Chair) – Dr. Tillie Hackett
- Chair of Patient Safety
- Dr. Jean Templeton Hugill Chair in Anesthesia
- Chair, EDI – to be determined
- Therapeutics Initiative Lead – Dr. Colin Dormuth
- Members from basic science or therapeutics research
Academic Hospital Site Head or Research Director
- Vancouver General Hospital – Dr. Jens Lohser
- St. Paul’s Hospital – Dr. Jim Kim
- BC Children’s Hospital – Dr. Simon Whyte
- BC Womens Hospital – Dr. James Brown
- Fraser Health – Dr. Feisal Mohamedali
- Victoria – Dr. Desmond Sweeney
- Pharmacology Undergraduate Student Representative –
- Pharmacology Graduate Student Representative –
- Anesthesiology Resident Representative –
- Vice-Chair, Education – Dr. Peter Choi
- Committee Secretary – Aileen Chiu
- Other members as deemed appropriate on an ad-hoc basis to provide consultation
Corresponding Member (non-voting)
The Research Advisory Committee meets quarterly in February, May, August, and November each year. Agenda items may be sent to the Committee Secretary.
Members will attend APT-RC meetings whenever possible. They will help organize and participate in the annual APT Research Day.
Terms of Appointment: Three-year terms unless determined by role.
This committee is accountable to Head of the Department of APT through the Department Executive.