Family Practice Anesthesia Residency Program
The UBC Family Practice Anesthesia Residency Program enroll two to three residents every year. At the end of their training, all were deemed to be competent for independent anesthesia practice.
The UBC FPA Residency Program underwent the accreditation process by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) under the umbrella of the Enhanced Skills Program of the UBC Department of Family Medicine. The program achieved accreditation, with an internal review in 2 years.
Description of Portfolio:
- Oversee the implementation of the Family Practice Anesthesia program for residents including the development and monitoring of the delivery of the formal teaching curriculum for the residents
- Ensure that standards are maintained for their program as outlined in the policies of the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC), under the umbrella of the Enhanced Skills Program (ESP) of the UBC Department of Family Medicine.
- Encourage and promote novel teaching/learning models within their residency program
- Provide support to preceptors/supervisors to assist in the timely completion of written evaluations of, and verbal feedback to, residents
- Attend regular In-training Evaluation (ITER) meetings
- Assist with residents in difficulty by collaborating with the resident, preceptors and the Director of Anesthesia Resident Program. Assist in the development of learning plans
- Collaborate with the residents in their program to review the training program, identify problem areas and develop strategies to improve the delivery of the postgraduate program
- Ensure that FPA residents are properly oriented to the university of British Columbia environment and their program including all program policies and expectations.
- Participate in the resident selection process for their area of focus
- Collaborate with the Anesthesia Residency and the Anesthesia Simulation Program Directors to support and maintain an innovative and dynamic residency training program throughout the department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Encourage and promote activities to promote resident well-being
VCH Vancouver acute order sets (Must have secure VGH connection)
Obstructive Sleep Apnea PACU (post-anesthesia care unit) risk stratification and management orders (Download)
Other order sets available (Must have secure VGH connection)